HOUSTON, April 26, 2016 /PRNewswire-HISPANIC PR WIRE/ – Viking Cold Solutions™, a leading provider of Thermal Energy Storage solutions for cold storage facilities and supermarkets, announced the launch of Solar Energy Storage™, bundling Viking Cold’s thermal energy storage with rooftop solar photovoltaic (PV) systems to deliver around-the-clock green, cost-effective energy management for cold storage facilities, supermarkets and utilities.
Viking Cold is combining Thermal Energy Storage with renewable energy sources, such as PV systems, making it possible for cold-storage facilities, supermarkets, and utilities to intelligently store and deploy refrigeration to reduce energy costs. This environmentally friendly solution solves one of the largest challenges to solar energy utilization by reducing renewable variability.
“Solar has proven to be a low-cost, reliable and green generation resource, but it creates a new problem with utilities with its intermittent nature for customers that require around the clock refrigeration,” said James Bell, CEO of Viking Cold Solutions. “Until now, the missing piece has been cost-effective and reliable thermal energy storage. Our system will enable cold storage operators to sustainably protect their products, while lowering operating costs, making solar energy much more accessible to companies driven by green business practices.”
The Thermal Energy Storage solution in combination with PV generation stores thermal energy and deploys it during peak demand, in the evening or any time of non-generation. As a result, electricity peak demand can be reduced by up to 90 percent.
Utilities benefit from the Viking Cold’s Solar Energy Storage solution by providing a “buffer” of efficient and green on-demand energy storage at customer sites. The solution also helps stabilize the grid enabling more intermittent users & suppliers of electricity to safely interconnect and helps achieve local mandatory energy storage targets.
Rooftop solar and Viking Cold’s Solar Energy Storage™ share many advantages, making them a perfect combination:
- Increase the value of solar PV – by storing energy during the day and using it for refrigeration at night (increasing savings)
- Cost-effectiveness and system longevity – Rooftop solar and Viking Cold’s Solar Energy Storage are low-cost and are designed to last for at least 20 years or the life of the facility, with minimal maintenance or downtime.
- Lower peak demand charges – Peak load shedding or shifting at any time of day increases savings during periods of renewable variability
- Reduce operational risk – Thermal backup allows customers to maintain safe temperatures and food quality during power outages or equipment failure, reducing business interruption and perishable food loss
- Economic development—Rooftop solar and Viking Cold’s Solar Energy Storage use local engineering and labor, leveraging utility investments to boost the local economy.
Viking Cold Solutions™ is a thermal energy storage company focused on making the world’s cold storage systems smarter and more efficient. Their Thermal Energy Storage Systems have saved their clients over 5600 MW of energy and have removed over 3900 metric tons of Carbon from the air. Their team has deep expertise in cold storage energy management, supermarket energy management, and thermal energy storage systems.
Viking Cold provides turnkey energy-management solutions that reduce operational costs and business risk for cold storage and supermarkets with high refrigeration-based energy loads. The company is expanding rapidly throughout the U.S. and internationally. To learn more, please watch Viking Cold’s 90 second video which explains how the technology works and visit vikingcold.com.
CONTACT: Collin Coker, [email protected], +1-832-497-5205