Local News

Magistrate withdraws Mohamed’s arrest warrant, warns bail could be rescinded for future lateness

16 February 2026
This content originally appeared on INews Guyana.
Promote your business with NAN
Azruddin Mohamed at the Georgetown Magistrates' Courts [Guyana Chronicle photo]

Principal Magistrate Judy Latchman on Monday withdrew an arrest warrant issued earlier in the morning for US-indicted businessman Azruddin Mohamed, but delivered a stern warning that his bail now hangs in the balance if he is late again.

The extradition committal proceedings were scheduled to resume at 9:00h at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts. When Mohamed was not present at the appointed time, the magistrate issued an arrest warrant at approximately 9:05h.

He arrived about 30 minutes later and apologised.

“You were absent this morning,” the magistrate told him.

“Yes, I was,” Mohamed replied, explaining that upon waking up, he discovered that two tyres on his vehicle had been damaged. He also told the court that he is currently dependent on a driver due to insurance issues affecting his vehicles.

The magistrate reminded him that he had previously been late and had been warned that “9 o’clock is 9 o’clock.”

“The wheels of justice must continue to turn, in a timely matter and it will under my watch”.

Magistrate Latchman made it clear that punctuality was not optional.

When Mohamed insisted that he had just reasons for his lateness, the magistrate responded that while he may believe his reasons are justified, the court must ensure that justice proceeds without disruption.

“In your mind, your reasons are just,” she told him. “But the wheels of justice must continue to turn.”

“At this point in time, I am very much inclined to rescind your bail and remand you,” she said, adding that she would do so to guarantee his attendance at future hearings.

“I will not tolerate your excuses,” the magistrate warned.

State prosecutor Terrence Williams expressed concern that repeated disruptions could significantly prolong the matter. He indicated that he was troubled by the potential for the proceedings to stretch out for years if not tightly managed and urged that the process not be allowed to drift.

He cautioned against allowing anything to affect “the bail and the temper of justice.”

Despite the strong warning, Magistrate Latchman ultimately decided against revoking bail.

“At this point in time, I will temper justice with mercy,” she said, before withdrawing the warrant.

However, she made it clear that this would be the final warning.

“Do not let this happen again,” she cautioned, indicating that on the next occasion she would rescind bail and remand him to prison.

The matter was adjourned to February 18, at 9:00h for continuation of the extradition committal proceedings.


Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.