Gunmen killed at least 50 people and abducted women and children in an overnight assault on a village in northwestern Nigeria’s Zamfara State, authorities and residents said.
The attack started late on Thursday night and continued into Friday morning in Tungan Dutse village in the Bukkuyum area of Zamfara when armed men arrived on motorcycles and began setting fire to buildings and abducting residents.
- list 1 of 4Hungary to block 90 billion euro EU loan to Ukraine in Russian oil dispute
- list 2 of 4Why the Supreme Court ruled Trump’s global tariffs illegal
- list 3 of 4Twelve Palestine Action activists granted bail
- list 4 of 4US envoy suggests it would be ‘fine’ if Israel expands across Middle East
end of list
“They have been moving from one village to another … leaving at least 50 people dead,” said Hamisu A Faru, a lawmaker representing Bukkuyum South.
Faru, speaking to the Reuters news agency by phone on Friday, said the number of people abducted remained unclear as local officials were still compiling lists of the missing.
Residents say warning signs were visible before the attack.
Abdullahi Sani, 41, said villagers alerted security forces after spotting more than 150 motorcycles carrying armed men a day earlier, but no action was taken.
“No one slept yesterday; we are all in pain,” Sani said, adding that three members of his family were killed in the attack.

Areas of Nigeria’s north and west continue to grapple with overlapping security threats, including armed criminal gangs and rebel fighters.
Just last week, at least 46 people were killed in raids in the Borgu area of northwest Niger State. The deadliest assault occurred in the village of Konkoso, where at least 38 residents were shot or had their throats cut, according to reports.
Advertisement
The crisis has drawn increased international involvement.
Nigeria recently expanded security cooperation with the United States after President Donald Trump accused the country of failing to halt the killing of Christians and threatened military intervention.
On December 25, the US launched air strikes on the northern state of Sokoto, conducted in coordination with Nigerian authorities.
Earlier this week, Nigeria’s military confirmed the arrival of 100 US soldiers tasked with training local forces.
Samaila Uba, spokesperson for Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters, said the US troops would offer “technical support” and “intelligence sharing” to help combat “terrorist organisations”, along with “associated equipment”.
He stressed the US personnel would not engage directly in combat and would share technical expertise under Nigerian command.
Related News
US jets escort Russian military aircraft out of Alaska’s air defence zone
US judge says wrongfully deported Kilmar Abrego Garcia can’t be re-detained
Could BNP’s landslide win open a new geopolitical chapter for Bangladesh?