
– says employees hijacked from site during efforts to address concerns
Denying the allegations of workers being ill-treated at India-based EKAA HRIM Earth Resources’ Region Seven quarry operations, the company says it is willing to engage the 37 employees on the way forward. Over the weekend, reports surfaced of the suspected trafficking of some 38 Indian nationals to work at the quarry operation at Batavia in the Cuyuni-Mazaruni region.
The Indian nationals were reportedly employed by EKAA HRIM for the past three years, where their passports were allegedly withheld by the company’s management. The workers also complained about poor living and working conditions at the quarry.
But speaking with reporters at a press conference on Thursday evening, company officials say only 37 employees are involved, not 38. Chief Operating Officer at EKAA, Shiva Kumar, explained that the issue stemmed from the death of one of the Indian employees, Shekhar Chhetri, who reportedly died from a heart attack on May 12.
The incident occurred at the work site and apparently traumatized the other employees, thus resulting in them making a series of demands, including a request for a health officer onsite and a meeting with the Indian High Commission.
Hijacking
Kumar said during a meeting with the workers on Friday, May 15, he committed to addressing these concerns and arranged for the meeting with the Indian High Commission the following Monday.
“But unfortunately, before that on Saturday, there was a third-party involvement, and our employees were hijacked on Sunday morning,” the COO stated, adding that the company has filed a complaint at the Bartica Police Station. Since then, the company official noted that they have not been able to contact the employees.
According to Kumar, “We have been reaching out to them. We don’t know where they are… We want to understand each and every employee, their concerns. Sit across the table and sort it out. But we’re not being given the opportunity.”
The company’s lawyer, Attorney Yoganand Persaud, further told reporters that on Thursday, the company officials went to the Labour Ministry to engage the workers, but instead of meeting inside, the workers staged a protest outside the ministry.
Persaud, a former Chief Labour Officer in Guyana who now provides consultancy services for EKAA, contended that while the company is ready to engage the employees, this has to be done in the presence of the Labour Ministry and Indian High Commission officials.
Moreover, he disclosed that at least a dozen of the 37 workers had previously indicated that they want to go back to work. He added that the others who want to return to India would have to engage the company.
“They will have to come to the meeting…and say that. And we will look at the contract to see what they are owed, and they’ll be paid… Some have one or two months remaining on the contract, and they would’ve gotten a ticket to go back,” the lawyer explained.
Refuting allegations
Meanwhile, the company has vehemently denied the allegations being leveled against it.
“The allegations made against the company are factually inaccurate and are directly contradicted by the documents recorded,” company representative Karthick Muthuvel stated at Thursday’s press conference.
He revealed that all salary obligations, including statutory remittances to the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) and the National Insurance Scheme (NIS), have been fulfilled up to the month of March, with outstanding payments for April and May to be settled this month.
Muthuvel went on to dispute claims of substandard food and living conditions at the site, noting that three meals were provided daily and were prepared after consultations with the workers to meet their dietary preferences and nutritional needs. He added that accommodation facilities meet and even exceed regulatory requirements.
According to the company representative, the allegation of forced labor is “false and deeply irresponsible.” He explained that the passports were lodged with the company office for safekeeping at the request of the workers and were accessible to them at any time.
Muthuvel added that the company even provided transportation for the workers around the area, including Batavia Village, Bartica, and Georgetown on long holiday periods. He noted that supporting documents to prove all of this have been handed over to the local authorities as the company continues to work closely with the Labour Ministry and the Guyana Police Force on this matter.
Only Wednesday, Labour Minister Keoma Griffith told reporters that the investigation into the allegations of poor working conditions and the confiscation of passports is ongoing. Through the intervention of the ministry, the passports have been handed over to the workers since Monday.
“The workers have said something which we are going to take seriously…but the company has said a different version… Our responsibility is to listen to both sides and to investigate. It is my duty to ensure that everything is examined before we come to the media or to the public to give information. We will not be irresponsible and give misinformation to the public,” the Minister stated.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Related News
Injured taxi driver in road rage stabbing dies
Govt to establish new Bartica Housing Scheme to meet growing demand
National Independence Visual Arts Expo opens at Castellani House